Like to know how to get rid of physical anxiety symptoms?
Which do you feel? These are some of the most common physical symptoms of anxiety are:
- · Tight band across the chest area
- · Increased heart rate
- · Increased muscle tension
- · “Jelly legs”
- · Tingling in the hands and feet
- · Hyperventilation (over breathing)
- · Dizziness
- · Difficulty in breathing
- · Wanting to use the toilet more often
- · Feeling sick
- · Tension headaches
- · Hot flushes
- · Increased perspiration
- · Dry mouth
- · Shaking
- · Palpitations
Wow! there are a lot, and not to forget that these physical symptoms are often accompanied by emotions such as fear, upset sad or worrie
Suffering any of the above can have a debilitating effect on your life. Perhaps worrying if people notice, so you go out less, or hold back taking opportunities at work. Maybe you find normal day to day things difficult, like driving, shopping, or making a phone call.
So, if you want to be free of the physical symptoms, you need to work with the head. A little bit of science!
There are 3 parts to the brain, and they have different functions.
What this means is that if we perceive a threat, then the reptilian (oldest) part of the brain will trigger, it has a purpose to keep you safe. This triggers a chemical release in the Emotional part of the brain where you will feel fear or other emotion and of course triggering the stress response that we will feel in any of the symptoms listed above. While the neo-cortex is trying to problem solve, it will respond slower and in some cases you may feel like your emotions are completely hijacked as the reptilian/survival part of the brain acts instinctively to protect you. This is why trying to rationalise the problem can feel like fighting fire.
A very basic picture. But remember the primal reptilian brain works very fast. The chemical reaction creates the physical symptoms.
So how good would it be to switch of the emotional hijack and restore calm.
Well you can. Though 1:6 people suffer from a common mental health problems each year, whilst impacting your life, they are also treatable, just like physical conditions.
So when you feel anxious, pause.
So, the best way to restore calm is to now
- Focus on your breathing. Remember the we need to switch off the chemicals. Long breathe out is really what is going to help here.
- Breathe in for 4 and out for 7 and repeat about 6 times. That will take about a minute. What you are doing here is sending messages in via the nervous system to switch off the chemical flow in the body.
Easy, counting and breathing! It’s not just about oxygen, we are helping our nervous system to do its job.
- Work with the subconscious mind and access good feelings. Visualise yourself somewhere where you feel good, safe and peaceful. Allow that feeling to fill your brain. No doubt if you are doing that your are feeling different in your body.
So now take some time to see yourself feeling and responding in a relaxed calm way.
- Close your eyes and see yourself doing and feeling exactly what you want to achieve.
- Stay there with that.
- And see another scene and another.
- Notice how you feel in your body and let that feeling grow
- Maybe you notice a colour, let that expand too.
If you need any more support, you can access my podcasts and recordings here.
If you need 121 support, I help people with anxiety to feel calm relaxed and back to normal. I’d love to hear more about you and see if I can help you to. Book a free 15 minute consultation